As the world's eyes descend on the UK this week with all the Coronation pomp and ceremony, we're reminded how proud we are to be British. There's no denying we do it very well.
And whatever the weather throws at us, we'll try our best to spend some time outside this weekend, joining in with the celebrations. Here are our top tips for eating outside this weekend:
1) Keeping cool: whether you're heading out for a street party, a picnic in the park or a BBQ in your garden, a cooler bag is a key ingredient to your picnic success. We love the vintage style coolers from Business & Pleasure Co.
2) Ice Ice Baby: Bring a Thermos flask filled with ice cubes, so you can chill your drinks as you go and not worry about the ice melting. No warm rosé here!
3) Plate Up: We always use enamel plates for picnics, as they are so light, durable and most importantly re-usable. They are far more practical than disposable paper plates.
4) Jam Jar sauces: Keep sauces and dressings separate where you can to stop salads getting soggy. Jam Jars are a great way to do this, and look great too!
5) Get Comfortable: Our Chunky throw is luxuriously soft and wonderful to sit on in the garden, or ready to wrap around yourself if eating outside when the temperature drops in the evening.
And if you missed our fabulous tried and tested recipe for a super simple and delicious vegan twist on the classic Coronation Chicken, these coronation chickpeas are absolutely delicious and a healthy, plant-based protein source as the perfect vegan sandwich filler!
1 red onion
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas (drained)
2 tsp medium curry powder
2 tbsp vegan creme fraiche or vegan mayo
1 tbsp mango chutney
Juice of I/2 lemon
Salt and pepper
Handful of coriander, chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
2 or 4 slices of bread
Half a lettuce
1. In a large mixing bowl, add about two-thirds of your chickpeas and lightly mash them
2. Add in the rest of the chickpeas, vegan creme fraiche or mayo, mango chutney, curry powder, raisins, chopped red onion, lemon juice, and seasoning
3. Stir to combine
4. Serve with your crunchy lettuce either as a loaded open-topped sandwich or as a standard sandwich with two slices
However you spend this weekend, we hope you enjoy the extra day off and enjoy the extra slumber.